Monday 10 June 2013

Broken back and recovery

My time in Chile came to a halting stop after dropping off a waterfall just North of Pucon, Chile. We had spent about 2hour sussing out whether we were in the right place for the run and eventually put on the river. After some medium flow white water, a few portages and some clean drops we arrived at the drop.... Some careful consideration resulting in opting into the descent.... Which ended very abruptly.

I have no clear idea as to why the landing was so sudden, however i think it is due to a combination of hard blue water and shallow angle.

With a broken back and herniated disc I stumbled to the side, with assistance of fellow kayakers, including Ari walker, I made my way out of the river valley and up to the road. The pain was extensive I nearly spewed a few times and was stoked to find my toes still wiggled.
An ambulance was called and 40min of resting on the base of by dagger nomad kayak, went by. 30min of chilean gravel roads took me to pucon hospital where i was x-rayed. After about 3 hours (still in wet kayaking gear) and plenty of visits from friends I was told I had broken my back and would be transferred to   temuco hospital 1.5 hours away. Cheers Ari for getting clothes and accompanying me on the journey. 6hours later around midnight I was stripped of my kayaking gear with the results of my ct scan, mri scan, both showing the damaged I had done.


7 days in hospital
2 nights in a hotel
and an early flight home
1 month in a brace

I quickly found out that a broken back is nothing to joke about. After aying in the hospital bed making plans to travel around south America, and finding out I could barely walk to the reception desk; I was quick to realize the damage. Although I had a first class flight home thanks to insurance, the novelty quickly disappeared by flight turbulence.
The long recovery had begun..... the next few months would be some of the most challenging in my life. No physical activities for three months, no impacting activities for 6 months (20th june 2013)
P.S. thanks Hazel for putting upwith me :P and cheers for the support.

I am now mostly recovered with the odd niggle. Planning on having a full season of skiing, kayaking, and running a half marathon in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment